WEEK7: Body mechanics practice/ Extra works

Body mechanics practic

Principle of body mechanics
  • Anticipation
  • Overlap
  • Squash and stretch
  • Timing and weight
  • Staging
  • Ease in and ease out
  • Exaggeration
  • Appeal
  • Secondary action

The body mechanics course has lasted for two weeks. In the last week, I mainly learned what Boody mechanics are. I practiced a project for this course this week. However, many difficulties were encountered during the practice. Including model rigging weights error, rigging controller error, and polish the animation.

The first reference I found was a sport-throwing discus. This action has a clear preparation and action inertia.

Before animating, a very important step is to export the video reference into a sequence of frame pictures. And use the sequence of frame pictures as the basecolor map of a plane in MAYA.

This will make it easier for us to observe and adjust actions. At the same time, you can better grasp the rhythm of the movement.

The first step is blocking, So I animated the main action of character. Then quickly start adjusting the details with 3 frames as a time interval. However, the process encountered a weight problem.

I tried to modify Weights in Maya. But after the joint is selected, the influence range of Weights is not displayed on the model. After a long time of searching and testing, I still couldn’t find a way to modify it. Therefore I rigged for a sphere. Modify the Weights of the sphere in the same way. I found that I cannot modify Simom’s weight in the same way. Very distressed.

After many attempts, I re-imported a Simom and animated for him. The preliminary video is as follows:

By observing the video, it can be found that the movement of the character is not very smooth. Preparatory actions need to stay more time. Therefore, I adjusted the motion curve of each controller of the character in the Graphic editor. This process requires patience. In this process I added finger movement. The following final video was obtained.

Extra works

In my spare time, I also studied the material of snow in MAYA and used it in this animation exercise. At the same time, I also used LCC’s render farm-deadline to render high-definition video. In this process I used MAYA, Bridger, and AE.

Firstly, I learned the texture node of snow in MAYA through online video teaching.

In addition, I also added SSS and coat attributes.

By adjusting the Bump parameter of the displacement map, I got the snow texture as shown in the picture.

Afterwards, I download some scene models in Bridger and import them into Maya.

After getting the model material, I designed the scene. Firstly, I considered the need for fences to throw discus. Therefore, I used a symmetrical composition. An ice wall is used to simulate a real-life guardrail for throwing discus. And give the material of snow.

As for the lighting stage. I tried lighting in different directions. Finally, a three-point light source was selected. The light source on the back of the character is the main light source.

Finally, I created a simple camera movement. And use the deadline of LCC for batch rendering. The wait is always long. So when I got the first batch of rendered pictures, I tried to adjust the picture in PS.

I have to admit that the rendering farm saves a lot of rendering time. After rendering, I got a sequence frame in EXR format with Z channel. And imported them into AE for synthesis.

The video below is the final composite video.

This entry was posted in 3D computer foundamentals. Bookmark the permalink.