WEEK4: Breakdown of rigs

Good Rig& Bad Rig

A good rig can improve the quality of Animating work and save time.

1.First of all, a good rig must be easy to understand for animators. In other words, we can better discover, understand and use controllers.

This picture is Zombie’s rig. In the picture, we can clearly find the controllers of each joint, and use different shapes to represent its control range. It is a good rig.

On the contrary, this is the rig of golem shadow, which can be judged to use Advanced skeleton 5. As shown in the figure, I selected the controller of the neck. Only when the wire frame appears, we can find a curve that controls the neck. This is not friendly for a beginner. This information cannot be obtained if you do not deliberately look for it.

2.A good rig also needs a good skin, which can make the movement more realistic. It can simulate the stretching of muscles, skin or other surfaces of objects of different materials in motion. For bad rig, some movement will lead to penetration in the model. For example:

This is Trixxie’s rig, in the picture I only adjusted the root controller. But we will find skin problems in 3 places. First, the hips on both sides are asymmetrical. Secondly, both left and right pockets have penetration. This will be very obvious when rendering the animation.

Solution:

As shown in the figure, we can find the skin menu on the right in the rigging mode. We can use the function of the yellow mark to change the weights of the skin. Through these functions, we can modify some bugs in rig by ourselves.

My Rigging

This is a role rig of my final major project. Simple rigging by using Advanced skeleton5. The biggest problem I encountered during the process was skin weights.

Firstly,I’m not sure how much skin can be affected by a joint. Secondly, rigging for face is done by using advanced skeleton5. We should pay attention to the Wireframe mesh of face model and the naming of the model. If the department is made in accordance with strict regulations, there will be some unsolvable errors.The correct approach is as follows:

Name

Wireframe mesh of face

All in all, a good rig first needs a good model, which requires the model’s wireframe mesh to be accurate, preferably four sides. Secondly, the controller is easy to understand and be observed. Finally, the details of rigging are in skin weights, which will take some time to process.

This entry was posted in 3D computer foundamentals. Bookmark the permalink.